Monday, May 2, 2011

May Day

WHen I was growing up the tradition of May Day was first introduced to my brother and I when our closest friends hid their car, snuck through our grove , left may baskets on our doorsteps ,rang the bell and hid. We had no idea what they were doing and their mom had to come and tell us to look for them.
It was so fun to be surprised by a basket of goodies ,and to get to see our friends.
Every year we would do it to them or they would do it to us.
Since nobody really did May baskets anymore it was our very own holiday.
But now I'm old .... I'm looking back to the good old days.
recently I've had to work long hours at the flower shop ,and I usually have no time to think of doing fun little surprises.
This year May Day was on Sunday and though I didn't have the energy to do May baskets I did have a wonderful Sunday on the farm.
I'm learning to not put my expectations so high, but to enjoy the little unexpected holidays.
I'm learning to relax when I have time to relax. Not try to get more things done especially on Sunday. God knew what he was doing when he gave us a day of rest. It is for our own good.
And May Day Sunday was Good. No candy , no surprises, but the sun was shining and Family gathered just to be together.

No comments: