Friday, November 2, 2012

Pie crust

Never fail pie crust.
I have this thing about pie crust: I really like it. Okay there can be really bad pie crust ,but I'm not terribly picky; I like an all butter crust , a lard crust and even an oil crust. And sometimes I'll even eat a pillsbury crust but it wouldn't be my choice (you need a good amount of ice cream ).
When I make crusts I usually use this recipe from my mom's nursing school cookbook. I have tried different kinds ,but this is the easiest for me and I can make it in the food processor with similiar results every time.
This crust works well with Fruit pies and pumpkin pies ,custard pies and even a quiche . And a quiche is what I am going to make with it . we have company coming for sunday dinner and an abundance of eggs from my mom's chickens so mixed with our own sausage and bacon and a good amount of cheese quiche it is.
The tricky part about rolling is getting the right amount of flour (along with having the right amount of water in your dough. I always seem be too stingy on the water and my dough is dry) . It usually tends to stick in the middle and I  loosen it with a long metal spatula thing half way through rolling and add a little more flour. I go a different direction every time I roll and that seems to make a more rounded circle.
I roll one end of the rolled dough onto my roller and lift it over the pan and unroll it.
The ripple on top is so easy and so satisfying . This is one of the things I learned from my mom helping her in the kitchen. You just put your thumb on one side and your two fingers on the other and make a v with the edge of the dough.
I am going to freeze these until later in the week when I need them. You can freeze them for weeks and it's great to have a homemade crust on hand to whip up a homey, warm , yummy pie!
Optional: go to an antique store and buy an old hat and bow tie before eating your pie, just because.
I hope you'll get up the courage to make pie crust . hey! I'll even come over and test it just in case. And I'll probably say what my Dad says when he wants me to make something again " needs more practice".

No comments: